Considering ADR (Artificial Disc Replacement)

< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Considering ADR (Artificial Disc Replacement)
Created On: 02/01/2005 09:15 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

04/20/2015 05:41 PM

Author Icon
angelrobert

Very sad to hear your pain. I can understand that the pain actually weaken the capacity and stamina of a person. I recommend you to visit the orthopedic surgeon and thorougly tell him about your story, I am sure taht he will definitely do something with the help of his team to treat your pain.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 11/18/2005 02:48 AM

Author Icon
CRizz69

I finally had my adr surgery June 9, 2005 at Stenum hospital in Germany and all went extremly well. They reviwed all my films and concluded with the doctors over here the same. The hospital staff were great and the care there was remarkable. I had L5S1 removed and charte implanted. I was up and about after the first day and running around the halls and outside the grounds on the second day. I had a roomate whom like me smokes and we both went out and smoked thus causing each of us to get out of bed more then they liked.I left the hospital on the fourth day and went to the Park hotel in Bremen and it was definitely a 5 star hotel. I had my room upgraded to a penthouse suite for my family was with me throughout the trip and we also used this as a vacation. Thankfully evrything went well enough for that to happpen.On my second day at the hotel we went bike riding for about 3 hours. i hadn't been on a bike in nearly six years. we went into town everyday and did the tourist scene. all the walking sure helped strech out from the surgery.It has been 5 months since my surgery and things are still ok but could be a little better, but a vast improvement from prior to surgery. I still take pain meds but soon I will be med free. I was on enormous amounts and have been little by little cutting back on them. I still have some leg pain and back pain, but I am the cause of this I think, because I over do it way too much. I never followed the doctors advice because I felt to goood to sit around so some days I suffer after over extending myself. i would love to talk to anyone who wants to hear my story about what happened to me here and overthere, the outcome and the future. I do have too have some questions for some of you who had experienced similiar to mine and who are doing well and who are not doing well. feel free to email @ [email protected] or just answer on this forum. I am new to this. so please excuse my style of doing things.Text
 04/30/2005 08:50 PM

Author Icon
CRizz69

I too have a very sad story to tell about myself, but basically I am going thru the exact same thing as you except I have been at it for 41/2 years with 1 failed back surgery in 2001. I had been approved to have my adr surgery here in the states by one of the 20 selected doctors whom particapated in the FDA trial study program. After doing my research on the doctor and the device ( charte) I found out about Stenum hospital and it's doctors and staff. I was very lucky that a friend of my brothers had his surgery there this past January and so far it has been a 100% success! I had been scheduled to have my surgery about then too but had to put it off for another month from now, can't wait either. My brothers friends friend who had it done there did about as much investagational work as you can as I have. I feel that they are very qualified in this and I too am going to have adr at l5s1 and possibly l4l5. I was told that you should not let any doctor that hasn't done atleast 100 proceedures of this kind operate on you. I will get back to you about this right now I have no more time.
 02/01/2005 09:15 PM

Author Icon
acebuyers

I have two torn discs at L4/L5 and L5/S1 levels and live in excruciating pain every day. I am considering Artificial Disc Replacement but am proceeding carefully. I have seen the bad experience that Willie had and am looking into things a little closer to try to avoid a bad experience. I have been waiting for ADR to advance in this country but heard about Stenum Hospital and that my insurance would pay for most of the operation. I don’t really want to wait much longer. I have tried every form of pain therapy including chiropractic, acupuncture, epidural steroid injections, massage, traction, ice, heat, Medtronic electric nerve stimulation (like Jerry Lewis has), IDET, Discectomy, Myofascial release, Oxycontin, vicodin, percoset, lidocaine, morphine, celebrex, Vioxx, Skelaxin, Norco, water therapy, physical therapy(by three different therapists, inversion table, and a few others that I cant think of right now. This has been over the last 3 years. I have been trying to avoid fusion while looking toward ADR as the possible answer. I have found in the mean time the best thing I have been able to do is to visit an Osteopathic Doctor who administers manipulative therapy to keep my range of motion up, I do stretches at home using an exercise ball and a Total Gym system, and take methadone for pain. Methadone is the only drug that will relieve my pain enough to function while allowing me to keep a clear head and not feel sick to my stomach. I do feel a little drowsy at times but over all I have been able to endure. Locally all the surgeons are wanting to do posterior entry fusion, which since I am 43 years old, and still have a dream of getting back on the ski slopes, beaches and a few other physical activities, don't want to lose mobility and have a scar that extends my butt crack another foot up my back. Any advice that anyone can give me would be appreciated or if you hear any other stories, negative or positive about Stenum Hospital, I would like to know. You can answer here and/or email me, Tom, at [email protected] I hope that the many of you suffering pain of various types can find relief. Never give up trying to improve your health and situation.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Back News
Feature Story
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
Diagnostics
Mary-Schatz-MD  Back
 Hero™

Mary Pullig Schatz, M.D.:
Healing Back Pain with Yoga.
About Heroes
 Community
Back1 Forums
Patient Stories
 Reference
Anatomy
Online Resources
Video Library
advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.