< REFRESH >
Topic Title: new arthritis drug
Created On: 08/23/2000 03:19 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

06/04/2010 10:21 AM

Author Icon
hillaryhoffman

Most glucosamine sold as dietary supplements is derived from shellfish. So far, there have been a few small scale studies, like this one, showing that people who are allergic to shellfish can safely take glucosamine supplements derived from shellfish. Most allergic reactions are against proteins in the shellfish, and glucosamine supplements should not contain any shellfish proteins.

However, since there haven't been any very large studies and since dietary supplements are not regulated by the FDA, most doctors recommend that people with shellfish allergies stay away from shellfish-derived glucosamine.

Fortunately, synthetic and plant-based versions of glucosamine (such as this one) are available.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 09/04/2001 12:02 PM

Author Icon
RICHARD14449

i read in news week glucosomin is derived for fish shells; if so will people who get reactions for fish be affected.
 09/10/2000 12:24 PM

Author Icon
Ken5145

My wife & I & several friends have had a great deal of relief & deminished symptoms after using Glucosomin & Chondroiton capsules . It takes from 30 to 45 days for noticeable benefits w/NO bad side affects (only good ones) My wife was using crutches & I carried a cane & now we use niether/ We are both in our 70's. Give it a try!!
 08/23/2000 03:19 PM

Author Icon
CES

I have not heard of Arava, but I know that a family member had severe rheumatoid arthritis and benefited from acupuncture! The practioner was an MD and an acupuncturist and based in NJ.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Back News
Feature Story
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
Diagnostics
Mary-Schatz-MD  Back
 Hero™

Mary Pullig Schatz, M.D.:
Healing Back Pain with Yoga.
About Heroes
 Community
Back1 Forums
Patient Stories
 Reference
Anatomy
Online Resources
Video Library
advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.