< REFRESH >
Topic Title: I Have Significant Scoliosis and vitamin D deficiency For Sure
Created On: 09/09/2011 05:56 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

05/18/2016 12:36 PM

Author Icon
Karebaer04

If you have that type of job and rheumatoid arthritis and you keep working this job the damage it does to your body is not repairable without a surgery. I have RA and the damage it has done to my ankles just from walking makes me look like a freak.. I have huge nodules on my ankles from just walking while I was getting attacks. This disease Is very serious as you probably know now. The best suggestion i have is find Amy Myers MD and take all of her advice quickly and you can reverse all the side effects she is the best hope for this disease!!

Can you let me know how you're doing now i would love to know!

Karen

(Fellow RA sufferee lol)

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 05/18/2016 12:16 PM

Author Icon
Karebaer04

Hi,

I know it's been a few yrs since your post and I'm sure you're further along in this disease by now but I wanted to respond to this. Let me know if you're still around and are interested?

Karen

09/09/2011 05:56 PM

Author Icon
hooktailbone

My rheumatologist ordered bone scans and nerve testing be done after my x-rays, and when I asked what we might be looking for, he said Paget's Disease. Bummer!

I haven't seen anything about vitamin deficiencies on this site, but I am new.

After I got the bone scan, the tech asked if I had suffered any traumatic falls or injuries in the past year. I assured him I hadn't, and he asked, "Are you sure?" I said, "Yes." He said they needed to re-scan my ribs and spine around them because there was some uptake of the dye. DOUBLE BUMMER!

I do know that vitamin D is more of a hormone than a vitamin, or so I have read.

At 47 years of age, my symptoms have become unbearable. I've had to ask for an unpaid leave of absense from work.

I sincerely hope my rheumatologist agrees with me that I need to take a leave of absense because I still have 4 days before I can see him and I don't want to lose my job which involves tons of heavy lifting, walking great distances every day, bending, stooping, climbing ladders, getting on my knees, etc. I really do love my job, but I can't cut it right now.

It is important to keep your weight in check if you have scoliosis or vitamin D deficiency. Your bones shouldn't have to support all that extra weight, plus, you cannot absorb vitamin D effectively if you are over that 30% BMI. All of the vitamin D gets trapped in your fat and never makes it to your bones. What does make it to your bones will be harvested by your organs. Your organs will have to rob this vitamin from your bones so that they can function properly, and this causes intense bone pain and a foggy brain.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to a foggy brain and losing things and going around in circles, and short-term memory loss. I scored an '8' in working memory: another reason to leave work and let the vitamin D take affect, as I have new things that I must learn on my job, which I know I am unable to learn in my present state.

I had gained a lot of weight when I quit smoking twice, and my thyroid gland went out on me, along with my gallbladder, and I got angle closure glaucoma, but the glaucoma is hereditary, as well as the low thyroid.

I knew that weight loss was critical to healing, so I went from 210 lbs., which is morbidly obese for my height of 5'3 and a half, to 163 lbs, which is considered overweight. Those of us who suffer from scoliosis and bone pain really should seek the 20-22% body fat on the BMI scale. Anything more is too taxing on our bones and muscles.

I am more than half way there, and have gone from size 18-20 to a size 10-12.

I don't want to hurt my bones anymore, and I refuse to do so until I know what's going on with me, so my job will have to wait.

Here is a list of my symptoms, and young people with scoliosis, please, please, please don't smoke! It will lead to Osteoporosis. That's a guarantee! Of course, if you find a hunch-back attractive, then by all means, do carry on!

All of my bones are affected from head to toe. Excrutiating pain even in my orbits, which is not due to eye problems according to a brain MRI.

My tailbone hooks noticably to the right at the bottom, and my left leg is somewhat shorter than my right. I was born knock-kneed and pigeon-toed. I also have three small hammer toes(toes that curl up under the next biggest toe) on each foot. My first and second toes are normal. If I get the seam of my pants centered in the back, the front is not centered, and vice-versa. If I buy petite pants, the right leg looks like I'm wearing floods, so I have to wear medium length pants, which are too long.

I have parasthesia to the left of my spine, beginning at about T7, going up into the lower left side of my neck.

No bone or muscle is spared, and rest and sleep do not relieve my symptoms. It hurts to sit, stand, or lay down, but I do not have symptoms of fibromyalgia. There are no tender points. There is no bone swelling or heat coming from any bones. I choose not to use any pain medcine, as I have GERD since the mid 1990s. I chjoose not to use GERD medicine any longer, as I know that it aids malabsorption of nutrients, and has not produced a cure despite long-term use. I tested negative for H. Pylori.

Pain is in my long bones as well as joints, and also in all of my muscles.

It will be a relief to get a complete diagnosis, finally.

My old doctor of 14 years kept saying I suffered from depression because I came in crying as a walk-in patient several times. I finally got fed-up with his unwillingness to have any tests done on me because the crying was due to pain, not depression, so I dismissed him.

Cosmetically, if you are concerned about the appearance of your scoliosis, why not wear baggy, long tee-shirts that cover you to your buttocks? No one will suspect a thing. That's what I do! Besides, modesty is a refreshing thing these days. Let everyone else run around with their fabric deficiencies. We're too good for that, anyway.

If you have scoliosis, or even if you don't, make certain and have your vitamin D levels tested often. I have been low more than once, now, and have read that the most accurate test for vitamin D is called the 25 Hydroxy vitamin D test. With low vitamin D levels, who's to say your scoliosis won't get worse? I'll bet it will!

Even if no one ever sees this, I will post an update when I receive my test results. I forgot to mention, they drew 9 vials of blood from me.

Have a great day!

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Back News
Feature Story
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
Diagnostics
Mary-Schatz-MD  Back
 Hero™

Mary Pullig Schatz, M.D.:
Healing Back Pain with Yoga.
About Heroes
 Community
Back1 Forums
Patient Stories
 Reference
Anatomy
Online Resources
Video Library
advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.