< REFRESH >
Topic Title: sad and disheartened
Created On: 01/13/2005 02:13 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

03/16/2015 03:47 PM

Author Icon
angelrobert

Sorry for all of your pain, Hope you'll get back soon towards life after having the experienec with such surgeries.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 02/16/2005 06:14 PM

Author Icon
jrdq

I had a total knee replacement about 5 months ago. Not much has gone well in my life for the last couple years either. I have taken meds for depression for 22yrs. I could be you may need some med for a short time, esp. if you have been on pain meds, narcotic type for some time. They deplete dopamine in your brain and it can take months to fix that again. Wellbutrin can help with dopamine, there are other meds that might help also. It can really help at times, maybe consider asking your doctor. I know people tell you to pull yourself up by your bootstraps. But I am also a mental health nurse and know at times you need some help to even do that. good luck. the knee replacement has worked well, just make sure you get a good doctor.
 02/10/2005 09:05 AM

Author Icon
Wyn19606

I've just read your post, and must say how sorry I am that you feel so low because of your injury and your inability to play soccer at the moment. I personally don't believe in God, but do believe in positive thinking. I'm now in my early 50's and have been a top class rugby player in my time (both amateur and professional). Having a cartilage removed from my knee when I was 23 eventually led to my having to retire at 28 years of age because of osteoathritis - I simply couldn't sprint anymore. How did I feel - resentful!! What I did instead was take up long distance running, and even started a running club. I'm certainly not an ideal build for this sort of exercise, but it enabled me to get over my frustration at giving up my rugby career. I ended up running 100's of races including 13 marathons, and can honestly say that in the end this purely personal challenge was far more satisfying than anything achieved on the rugby pitch. I am sure that you will overcome this set-back, and either find a surgeon who can fix your problem, or you will adapt and get involved with another physical activity. You never know, it might turn out to be as or even more rewarding than your soccer career!! Whatever the future holds, take a positive look at your life, forget about blaming God or anyone else and get on with it. Incidentally, my knee has now given up completely, and I am waiting for a knee replacement - guess what? - I can't run anymore!!!!! BUT -I WILL be back on my bike at some stage, and am currently getting better and better at swimming which was an activity I used to hate with a passion. Good luck Wyn
 01/13/2005 11:49 AM

Author Icon
AngelicNikki

Thanks for the inspirational words! It means a lot to me! I know that God would not set out to harm me or cause me any unnecessary grief, but I just can't help thinking that way sometimes! Thanks again!
 01/13/2005 09:15 AM

Author Icon
Matthewgi

I am very very sorry to hear about your current situation. I truly feel for you. This is the first time since I have been viewing this forum that I have heard anybody even mention GOD. It’s quite a refreshing change. I personally don’t think God would set out to frustrate you (although I understand you are frustrated because you can’t play soccer). God is supposed to be loving, right. If that is true, then let us just say that this terrible thing has happened to you, BUT, it gives HIM the opportunity to help you and to show you how loving and powerful HE is, and that He is concerned about every detail of your life. “Cast all your cares on Him for He cares for you…”. He gave you that built-in skill and even the love for soccer. He gave you. So He will help you fix it. “Commit your way unto the LORD and HE will direct your path…”. And that could include directing you to the right doctor. “Your gift shall make room for you before kings…”. Hope this helps. Please don’t give up. Don’t lose hope. Matthew
 01/13/2005 02:13 AM

Author Icon
AngelicNikki

The love of my life: soccer... Yes, I love my family! I love my dog! And I love my boyfriend of (almost) four years... But the love of my life is soccer. I played from the day I could walk! My older brother played and I played right along with him! I always said I wanted to get a full ride to play soccer in college! I played on a team since age 4 and played at a premier level club from age 9. I was honored at the state and regional level and played in many international tournaments. Not to boast, but I was not just "good for our little town" - I had a good amount of natural talent! And the rest I worked for! I practiced for 6-10 hrs a week with my team and at least an hour every night (regardless of whether I had had team practice). I played on a boys' U-16 soccer team when I was only 13... I was better than most of the guys... Unfortunately that was the problem! One guy on the other team was very upset about this and took me out - leading me to tear my ACL and start a world full of problems! This was right before 8th grade. By 9th grade I recovered and played for my club and high school teams. I started varsity as a freshman and earned conference honors. In 10th grade, I started to have some pain again and it got worse in 11th grade. By 12th grade, I just couldn't play! I thought after another surgery things would get better... They haven't! I 'm now 19 and it has been only about 6 months since I haven't played, but I just can't take it! If I see someone wearing a soccer shirt, kicking a ball (or just kicking anything!), or hear someone talk about playing, I feel like breaking down and crying! I thought the feelings would subside eventually but it is only getting worse! I feel like a major part of me has been ripped out of my heart! All my dreams (of a full ride, playing professionally) have been cut off! I showed a lot of promise and had a ton of coaches after me in my junior year and even still some in my senior year (ones that felt I could come back from the injury). It's all lost... I can barely walk, can't do stairs, and certainly can't play! I am only allowed to swim and lift upper body. I just have a hard time seeing why this has happened to me. I ask God all the time why he has done this to me and how I am supposed to use this to serve him... I haven't seen an answer yet... I have a hard time being motivated about anything anymore. It all seems worthless and mundane. I JUST WANT TO PLAY! I know there's no hope but it doesn't stop me from wishing, from questioning...

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Back News
Feature Story
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
Diagnostics
Mary-Schatz-MD  Back
 Hero™

Mary Pullig Schatz, M.D.:
Healing Back Pain with Yoga.
About Heroes
 Community
Back1 Forums
Patient Stories
 Reference
Anatomy
Online Resources
Video Library
advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.